Image Map

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

love in the golden years

For some reason I never got around to watching "Love in the Afternoon" even during my Audrey obsession at age 13. So last night (thanks to my newly discovered best friend, instant netflix) I tucked myself in to bed with my laptop and finally gave it a go.

I instantly fell in love with lovely Audrey all over again - no shocker there. But I must say I would have to give the actual plot & her much older costar, Gary Cooper a 3 out of 5. Gary plays a toxic (American) bachelor; Audrey plays Arianne, the charming Parisian cellist who moonlights on occasion as a pathological liar - oh and she also happens to be daughter of a Private Detective. Madness, debauchery and gypsy bands ensue.

I'm still not sure why the powers that be always chose to pair her with men twice her age and to their credit it worked quite well in many films (see: Sabrina, Roman Holiday, Paris When is Sizzles, My Fair Lady AND, of course, Funny Face) just not so much in "Love in the Afternoon". Of course, this is just my opinion and don't let it scare you off. At the end of the day it's still an Audrey movie...and, as we know, she can do no wrong.

I think the trailer is hilarious and tres risque for 1957, non?

3 comments:

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I usually love Gary Cooper, but this was definitely an odd pairing. It's funny, I just got War and Peace with Audrey from Netflix in the mail today...

reckless daughter said...

haha,how odd that's next on my queue (thought I've seen that before) :)

yiqin; said...

Ah yes, I really enjoyed the vid! Thanks for sharing :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...