Image Map

Friday, August 7, 2009

DJRD's ultimate leading men:: part deux

Continuing with the DJRD's ultimate leading men series...

Exhibit #2 "Bogey"
I have to admit, when I was younger I didn't really get the Humphrey Bogart thing so I understand if you think I'm a little nuts at first. Like most, I'd seen Casablanca and the Maltese Falcon but I don't think I really understood the appeal (or the films for that matter!). Sure, he was a good actor but to me he just seemed like a grumpy, grumbling older man. I think it was seeing Sabrina when I was in my early teens and then later in Dark Passage - opposite his real leading lady Laurel Bacall - that changed my mind.And to be fair, I think it's likely his leading ladies who helped me understand his appeal along with the more likable characters he played throughout his career. The rough and tumble exterior seems to be masking what's really going on with this dude. The end result is pretty hot. I mean, who doesn't love a man in a trench coat and fedora or a tuxedo for that matter?I've also been reading Lauren Bacall's autobiography (for WAY too long, incidentally. I must finish it!) which may be the reason Humphrey popped into my mind when coming up with my ultimate leading men list. None the less, if you're looking for a good introduction to Humphrey Bogart I would say start with one of the following:

Dark Passage (1947) Though it may be a tad obvious I now see the importance of Casablanca (1942)


and my personal favorite: Sabrina (1954)



Have a great weekend kids!


PS: I'm still open to your leading men suggestions!

1 comment:

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I totally agree; I sort of "grew into" Bogart. Now I see what Bacall saw...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...