Image Map

Friday, May 20, 2011

sympathy for the summer

This photo shoot - it's colors, lighting, beautiful location - just screams summer to me and as we approach the warmest of seasons, I thought now would be a good time to share it.
Summertime and I have had a tempestuous relationship.  You see, I grew up in Las Vegas, Nevada (a true "desert rat") where summers are dictated by the scathing heat (115+ in the dead of summer). As a result most of our summers revolved around hanging out by our (or some family member's) swimming pool or just lazying around inside with the central air cranked.  I loved the pool when I was very young and I don't think I even noticed the heat. Then began a phase, one I expect many adolescent girls go through, of not wanting to a) wear a bathing suit or b) go near a pool for fear my hair would go all curly and unmanageable.  As a result, I don't think I even owned a bathing suit (or shorts for that matter) for a good 6 or 7 years and was quite content to wear jeans in July because I was never outside much anyhow.
I have to say, I'm quite glad to be over that phase and able, once again, to enjoy my summers to their fullest. Sadly, I don't know anyone here in LA that even has a pool! but then, I suppose that's why god invented beaches.
 photographer: elizabeth toll
for Hockney

5 comments:

Jessica Stanfill said...

Mmmm yeah I remember that phase. I'm jealous of your  beautiful beaches! Take advantage of them :)

Jess
 turn that frown upside down

kitsune-kun said...

 these are so lovely and inspiring! love the way the pool water is coloured in these.

Laura said...

I can't WAIT for summer, even if I'm already on summer vacation - it doesn't feel like it because it's been mostly raining for the past week and a bit! That's a really pretty photoshoot, I especially love the second picture! I DESPERATELY want to live in the last picture, though, the pool looks so...refreshing!
I wish we had beaches here, I'm so jealous!
- Laura

Sewon said...

 I'm really into the yellow pants and the sweet shades, and third to the last photos. What are some of your favorite beaches around LA?

xx mapsandfragments.com

Beatricepallister said...

These photo's are so refreshing and framed so well! Also, the background looks like the perfect holiday destination and I am in love with the angular leather sofa.

http://fashionsquirkylittlesister.blogspot.com/

x x x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...