Image Map

Monday, September 19, 2011

reckless daughter film report: Qui êtes vous, Polly Maggoo?

Recently, I sat down to watch a film I had been meaning to see for ages: Qui êtes vous, Polly Maggoo? It is one of those iconic 60s films that I knew I should watch but one that also collected dust in my Netflix queue for (quite literally) a year. Though I could easily let the photos do the talking, I may as well give you a bit of insight into the plot. 
The film centers on a young American Supermodel (Polly Maggoo!) who is being followed around by a Television crew for a tv special. 
 There are several other narratives swirling around: the mad Editor-in-Chief of a fashion magazine (loosely based on Diana Vreeland) and her posse of "Yes women",  the Prince of a small nation who is obsessed with marrying Polly, a fashion designer who uses galvanized steel and aluminum as "wearable" materials, etc...

For me one of the best things about the film is the irony that  lies within it. Despite taking very clear satirical aim at the fashion industry and all the narcissistic / materialistic silliness perceived to be ingrained in its fabric (pun intended), the costumes and production design are truly gorgeous. Every other scene looks like an editorial straight out of 1966's Vogue.  I suppose, if you are going to really go after a subject you need to do your homework to get the point across or risk looking out of touch.
Regardless, I appreciated both sides of this cinematic coin. And, while there isn't necessarily a moral resolution for the heroine you get the sense that things will change for her in the near future. 
If you are a fan of 60s fashion and cinema you'll definitely appreciate this film.
 

photos from killerslikecandy & shelley.se

1 comment:

Kallie, Happy Honey & Lark said...

Into the Qwikster queue it goes (this whole Netflix switcheroo is so annoying)! What an interesting looking movie. AND THAT EYE MAKEUP! I'm excited to get this for the weekend, you always have the best recommendations for movies and books.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...