Image Map

Monday, June 1, 2015

Monday Muses: Julie Christie





My father looooves "Doctor Zhivago". When my siblings and I were growing up he would try endlessly (in vein) to get us to sit down and watch the 3 and a half hour epic.  A worthy attempt at bringing some culture to our little lives but perhaps just a tad slow and heavy-handed for a 10 year old to digest? None the less, that was my introduction to today’s muse; Fuzzy flashes of blond hair peeking out of a giant fur hat against a sprawling, frigid backdrop. 







Julie Christie on Don Juan's Reckless Daughter



It wasn’t until I attended a special screening of "Darling" at the BFI in London 5 or 6 years ago that my love for Julie Christie solidified. Her Oscar-winning portrayal of the over-the-top social climbing starlet, Diana Scott, coupled with very 1960s costumes and makeup managed to leave a big impression on me.  It even inspired me to cut a fringe for the first time in years. 








Another fun sidetone that endeared me to Ms Christie is the legend that she and Terrence Stamp were the  young couple ('Terry and Julie') immortalized in one of my favorite ever songs, “Waterloo Sunset” by the Kinks (circa 1967).  (ugh...SUCH a good song, you guys.)  She was a bit of a playgirl back in the day and also dated, among others, Warren Beatty and Brian Eno. 





I recently re-watched "Far From the Madding Crowd" which is a gorgeous film (they just remade it with Carey Mulligan but I have yet to see it) as well as "Shampoo" which is 70s-tastic and worth a watch as well (it also stars Warren Beatty and Goldie Hawn).









Julie has mostly retired from the spotlight but will pop up occasionally and she's still incredible...








Suggested viewing: "Darling","Doctor Zhivago","Far From the Madding Crowd","Fahrenheit 451","Shampoo" - if you are up for a scare "Don't Look Now"  and if you are up for a cry: "Away from Her" (directed by Sarah Polley who I adore). 


Have a wonderful week! xM







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...